Wednesday, July 13, 2005

My brain was exhausted when I went into class today. I had slept only three hours a night for two nights in a row, and I was worn out when I headed into class. I am not complaining. I played last weekend, and I paid for it the last two nights.

Class was pretty horrible. I just didn't feel like fighting them today. I let them get away with misbehavior, and they took advantage of it. Because of that, my test review wasn't beneficial for much of the class. They ended up doing okay on the test, but they missed questions that were directly addressed in the Jeopardy style review game we played. When they misbehave, they don't learn.

I had set a big goal that if my students got an 80% class average on the final test, I would come in the next day with a mohawk. I had to throw out a question that required knowledge I didn't teach them. With that question gone, they ended up with a class average of 81%. They don't need to know this quite yet though.

I have two days with my students. I think it would be foolish to believe that they will learn anything in the next two days if I come in with a mohawk, and tell them they achieved the big goal. They won't have any motivation. Tomorrow, I am going to tell them they got a 79%, but that I am willing to make a deal. If they all hand in their completed outlines for the writing project we are working on by the end of lunch, I'll get the mohawk for Friday.

In other news, I got my class assignments from Northwestern High School in Miami. I am teaching Freshmen "World Geography and Culture" and Juniors "American History." I am thrilled with these assignments.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dasher said...

You should die it pink as well. That would be oober sweet.

9:51 AM

 
Blogger Harlan Smith said...

Yo Yo Moorebucks. Good to hear everything is falling into place for you out in Miami. Blog on, my friend, blog on.

12:12 PM

 
Blogger Rog said...

John, great reading your blog again. It's a white lie, and your students will be better for it... knowledge is power. You're empowering your students (hopefully). I'm happy you got some subjects of interest in Miami!! Take care bud. Mohawk pics would be nice.

10:11 AM

 
Blogger Zack said...

Interesting, interesting.

2:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home