Monday, August 14, 2006

My school has a smell, a noise, and a rhythm that is unmistakeable. I wouldn't say there is no other place I'd rather be. Mexico was nice, and I prefer watching VH1 than grading student writing. However, I have felt this week - perhaps arrogantly - like a pro.

I didn't get nearly as ahead as I could have in my planning days. My room is very orderly and efficient, but it lacks color. To be blatantly sexist, it lacks a feminine touch that I simply do not have. There are positive messages (Typed in MS Word. Courier Bold is the font), but if I could describe it one word, it would have to be "accountability." It is clear when you walk in, that work and learning take place there. Expectations are high.

I came off like a mean guy last year, and I am anything but. This year, I have been 90% honest and open with my students. I tell them about Teach for America, my educational background, and the expectations I hold for them and myself.

Here's an excerpt from my AP US History syllabus:
Expectations of Students:
You are expected to take on the responsibilities of a high achieving college student. This means:
Reading before you come to class: 40-60 pages every week
Taking notes and studying them: You will be quizzed on everything you read, so it is important to fully digest the information from the text.
Writing essays: Approximately 1 per unit
Creating flashcards: 500 before the course is over!
Participating: Coming to class with questions prepared, and contributing to discussions.

What you can Expect from Me:
Accountability: I will provide accountability by giving you a graded quiz once a week, regularly assigned essays, and at least 4 AP style tests before the exam on May 11. I will update and post grades every 7-10 days.
Preparedness: I will come to class with additional notes, topics for discussion, and activities that promote your historical thinking and writing skills.
Support: I will do whatever is in my power to help you on your way to becoming a high achieving collegian.

Shawn Chamberson came in late on Thursday after not having shown up on Tuesday. I knew his type as soon as he walked in: insecure but would never admit it, smart, funny, and about 2 inches from blowing up in my face if I pushed him too hard too fast. He tried, unsuccessfully, to take a seat without me assigning him one, and was pretending to be asleep 5 minutes later (legs sprawled, mouth open). I would have made a big fuss last year, but I've learned better. I quietly placed the assignment sheet on his nose.

I made all my classes laugh multiple times in the first week. It's so easy. I try a joke out in 1st period, and use it over all day long. Doing our first KWLs, my students were shy about saying what they knew about American History. Whenever they made a point, even if it was as simple as "Slaves came from Africa" I would yell somewhat orgasmically "yeeeeaah." They think I'm crazy. Especially before a quiz, when I ask them to be quiet. "Can you hear it Dyshonette? Shhhhh. Listen. Chooka Chooka Chooka Chooooo Choooo! It's the A train, coming through!" They give me stares like I am the antithesis of cool, but I know they like it.

I'm teaching AP and Honors which is wonderful, because I am seeing a side of Northwestern that I didn't know existed last year. AP is like a whole other prep. There is so much material and so little time. I am treating it like a college level class and so far, the students are responding. More updates soon.

Mr. Moore

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home