Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I just spent 15 minutes cleaning my New Balance 45$ sneakers. I washed them with hot water and an old sock before whitening them with an applicator. I have been wearing my $45 K-Swisses (white) for the whole school year. However, I thought it was time for a change. (Sidenote: I got both pairs for a two-for-one deal at Foot Locker last September)

You gotta look good when you walk into Northwestern. The students do their best to look fly. The librarians wear makeup. African American english teachers sport heels and do their hair. The principle looks like an Armani advertisement during the week. Everyone (except the mal-adjusted shop teacher) takes a good look in the mirror before coming to school. We try to look good.

But I don't think looking good is the same thing as looking professional. When I try to look "professional" I end up looking like an eight-year-old going to Sunday school. That's not a good look to have going into Northwestern. Students will crack on me if I look like that. So, I wear jeans and collared shirts and that's that. I feel comfortable, I look good, and my students are achieving. But I noticed something today. My shoes were kind of dirty.

So, I whitened my New Balances. Tomorrow, I will look "so fresh and so clean." My kicks will be nice and crisp. Looks aren't everything, but Northwestern has taught me that looks are important.

Mr. Moore

Don't get me wrong. All of my students still see me as a complete nerd, and they are absolutely correct.

Mr. Moore

PS We had a tropical storm named Ernesto. It was weak, and everything is okay.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rog said...

Very enjoyable post JJ, keep us posted with more flava nuggets, no matter how small :)

12:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home