Friday, September 09, 2005

There are different worlds in Miami. It's a big city, but it doesn't really mix. You have the Jews in North Beach, the Hatians in in Little Haiti, the Blacks in Liberty City, the Spanish Speakers in Hialeah, the Whites in Downtown. These are all generalizations, but generally, Miami is separated into parts. I teach in Liberty City. I am definitely a guest there, but I feel welcome.

Sometimes you here statistics about Miami being one of the poorest cities in the country. There is a lot of poverty here, but those statistics don't take into account the wealth in the parts right out of Miami proper. There's Sunny Isles, Miami Beach, and Aventura. Along 81st St and NE 2'nd does look like another country, but there are a lot of nice cars driving buy it every day.

The business culture here sucks, but nobody seems to mind. Stuff just takes longer to get done. For example, there's been "construction" on the JFK causeway but I have yet to see "construction" going on. People don't keep appointments. Late is a relative term.

The traffic sucks, but I don't deal with it too much.

The thing I love about Miami is the diversity I see. Normally I don't appreciate it, but when I reflect, I am very glad that I see different cultures every day. I spend a lot of time in my school's culture, but I am also part of a neighborhood culture, and a teacher culture. I see Hatians, Bahamians, Mexicans, Blacks, Brazillians, and Argentinians all the time. In the streets where I live, I hear more non-english dialogue than english dialogue.

I also really like the weather. It's been humid, but it's supposed to be beautiful all winter. I'll be swimming in the ocean in November. That is pretty cool.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rog said...

Hey bud - I tried calling you today from a Michael Franti & Spearhead concert that I stumbled upon in Golden Gate park. The coolest thing was that it was FREE. I couldnt hear too well, but I think that it said your number is no longer in service... :( Crazyhippie atmosphere, lots of dreadlocks, weed puffing and general anti-Bush sentiment. Thanks for the snapshot of Miami. Love ya man.

10:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home